Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Who am I? - What brings Joy?


I don't know what year this was written in originally but here is the first of many. . . 
"Birds do not sing so others will applaud . . .so we sing"  Larry Bey
Seems as though I've been away for a while and unfortunately I can't say that I am totally back, I'm back for the moment.  This hiatus has been wonderful for me.  I've done a lot of reading, writing and introspection.  I finally finished the book I'd been working on, the editing should be done by the end of April and then off to print.  I'm really excited.  
Over the past few months I've given a lot of thought to what I do and why.  I am a speaker, a teacher and a writer who focuses on spirituality and self-development.  I do this because it gives me joy. 
A Course in Miracles says that man is generous out of his own self interest and in this regard I would agree.    I get great joy from what I share with others.  
Its been my belief that we each have talent, some of which are more marketable than others, and we each have a purpose for being.  I know that I've found mine simply by following what gives me joy.  (If it gets any better I might pop.)  I know that others can find that same joy by doing what makes them happy.  Realizing that the onus is upon the individual to speak to what brings them joy and to follow that.  
The ultimate question becomes "who am I and what makes me happy?"  "What gives me joy?"  This is the only path leading to a truly authentic life.  To find that central referential "I" and begin work from there.  
I remember when I first started doing my radio show.  I would listen to other shows to see what other host did. At the same time realizing that I had to find my own voice, my own way of being that spoke to who I am.  It is important that we each seek and find our voice.  I know the saying that "imitation is the best form of flattery" but copycatting is demeaning.  Your uniqueness certain.  Play your part because only you can.  Don't simply  pander to the ideas and fears of others by doing what you perceive is tried and true. 
Life requires that we shake from our minds the shackles of other people's ideas and opinions.  We must decide what it means to be who we are in this space and time even if we must do so defiantly.  There is nothing glamorous about "blending in."   Don't get me wrong this is not about glamor as much as it is about pushing the limits placed upon you.  
Let me not leave this manifestation with the idea that I simply traveled new roads.  I want to be like Star Trek or Daniel Boone who went where no one has gone before.  I'll cut a path and leave a trail for others to follow and not so that I can beat my chest and say look at what I did, its not about me its about ME.  Since I know its only one of us here.  It reminds me of when Jesus went into the garden to pray just before the crucifixion.  He came out and found all his disciples asleep.   How symbolic.  At the risk of sounding trite - "if not me, who?  If not now, when?"
Wake up we need you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment